Testifying at the State Board of Education Meeting, 25 March 2009
You should register early on Friday, 20 March 2009, or on Monday, 23 March, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Central Time).
You may register in one of three ways:
- Calling 512-463-9007
- Faxing the registration form to 512-936-4319 (choose “Committee of the Full Board”)
- In person at William B. Travis (WBT) State Office Building, 1701 N. Congress, Austin, Texas 78701
The TEA’s official information on testifying can be found at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index4.aspx?id=3958#Public%20Testimony
At the January meeting, priority was given to speakers who had not spoken at the previous meeting in November.
WE ASK SPEAKERS TO:
- Encourage the board to adopt the science TEKS as written by the expert writing teams.
- Ask the board to reject the anti-evolution amendments passed during the January meeting.
TIPS FOR TESTIFYING:
- Testimony is scheduled for Wednesday 25 March, from noon to 6 pm, in the William Travis Bldg. The meeting room is on the first floor.
- The day of the meeting there will be a printed list of the order of speakers on the table outside the meeting room.
- Speakers should have 35 copies of their testimony to distribute to the board. This can include talking points or a written version of your testimony.
- Speakers are given 3 minutes for testimony, and will be told to finish their current sentence when the time elapses.
- Board members may then question the speaker.
- Be respectful and polite—as the old saying goes, honey works better to catch flies than vinegar.
- Three minutes goes by quicker than you think. Try to make one big point and reinforce it, rather than several smaller points.